7.07.2005

The following is a review of the Las Vegas 100 concert that I was at last week. I could of written my own review but I don't remember exact songs, the order they were played, band member names, etc. I got this review of a pretty cool blog, Mingle with Ingle, and he did such a good job with the review and I agree with everything it says that I decided to "borrow" the review. My own comments are in red.

First off, the opening band, “The Adolecents” blew. They were about as talented as Atreyu. Easily one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

Now lets get to the important stuff. After the crappy opening set, Weezer came out. Giant W and all, and performed quite the set.

In short, Weezer owned. They played a much different set than I had imagined based on the set lists posted on their web site. First off, they started out with Say it Ain’t So, arguably their best song to date. At this point, I was about 15 feet from the front railing (we got into the inner area because we were part of the first 5000 to arrive). After Say it Ain’t So, they played either Don’t Let Go or Photograph, I don’t really remember, and I haven’t been able to find a set list anywhere yet. By the end of this song we were about 5 feet from the front railing. I was very impressed by Weezer. This was my first experience with this band other than the Buddy Holly video on MTV. I really liked them and I wish I'd been introduced to them earlier.

Some time after that they played Perfect Situation, one of my favorite songs from the new album, for the first time live. They didn’t play any Pinkerton, which was a let down, but there was a hell of a lot of Blue, which I couldn’t have been more happy about. My favorite song of the set, and also my favorite Weezer song in general was No One Else, which was every bit as awesome live as it was on CD.

By the end of the Weezer set, we were up to the front rail, directly in the center of the venue, and after what seemed like the longest hour of my life, the Chili Peppers took the stage, first Flea And Johnny with a short jam, then Chad, then Anthony. We also made it to the front rail by the time the Peppers came out. Very awesome.

After a quick jam session, they moved into By The Way. They went on to play an excellent show, included a few covers, and a few songs from their upcoming album. They seemed like pretty cool guys. Flea suggested we all get our recorders out every time they were about to play a song that hadn’t been released yet. After an excellent set, they came out for one of the best encore’s I’ve ever seen at a concert.

Johnny walked out on stage carrying a base, which was odd on its own, but then Flea walked out carrying a trumpet. Not only is the man the bassist alive, but he comes out with a fucking trumpet, and plays one of the best trumpet solos I’ve ever heard. Very cool trumpet playing. After that, they went into Under the Bridge, which was amazing, and then Give it Away, which was even more so. After that, they went into a little improv session, which was absolutely insane. Flea and Anthony beat-boxed, they even barked a little. it was absolutely insane. After about twenty to thirty minutes of improv, the concert ended, there was a huge fireworks show ($100,000 worth from what I hear), and a even bigger traffic jam. Nothing like 50,000 fans trying to get out of a parking lot. I've never really liked fireworks, always found them a little boring, but this was such a cool display. I was like the zombies in Land of the Dead, just staring up at the 'sky flowers'.

Anyways, this has probably been one of the best experiences of my life, and has most definately taken its place as my favorite concert of all time. Easily the greatest concert I've ever been too.

No comments: