2.14.2004

Books



Jennifer Government - I was first attracted to this book by the cover. The eye with barcode is very cyberpunk in my mind, though this book isn't. I read the back and wanted to get it, but was short on cash that day. A few day's later I ran across NationStates, an online nation simulator based on Jennifer Government. I really liked the game so I had to read the book. I went Amazon and use their search engine to read the first 30 or so pages of the book. I definitely liked what I read so I went and bought it. That Amazon feature is cool but not for reading an entire book.

It's a very quick read, but very well written. I'm going to buy Max Berry's other book Syrup because I like his style. Hopefully he'll explore the world of Jennifer Government again because it's very unique.

The Da Vinci Code - I've been reading a comic book series called Rex Mundi and I was surprised to see that they're both based on the same thing. A book called Holy Blood, Holy Grail. So I totally ate this book up. I love the subject matter of Catholic Church coverups, Jesus Christ's bloodline, and secret societies. This book moves along at a quick pace with no boring parts, yet it gives you a lot of information.

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5) - I just started this series about a year and a half ago, and it's probably my favorite fantasy series. It used to be the Wheel of Time, but Jordan just takes too long to do anything. I got scared while reading this book. Not because it's scary per se, but just because it gives me an uneasy feeling deep inside. It's just a creepy world King is showing us. I was kind of annoyed in parts where the characters would discover a secret but it wouldn't be revealed to us until later. For example "and then I removed the mask and I saw a..." What the fuck, just tell us.

Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 1) - I really love all the Neal Stephenson books I've read. He just has a unique way of writing that sucks you in. The problem with this book though, is it's so dense. It's long but that's not the problem. There's just to much information at times and you end up getting confused. Parts would fly by and then other's it felt like walking through mud. But it all comes together at the end. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

No comments: