7.11.2004

Have a Beer


I've been on a beer kick lately. Just another one of the fads I go through every now and then. I've usually been a Corona or Heineken kind of guy, but I decided to give darker beers a try. My first choice, because I've heard of it and because they sell it around the corner is a beer from Colorado. Fat Tire was a beer I heard a lot about growing up in Jackson, Wyoming. The makers describe it as follows:
Like the ageless delight of pedaling a bicycle, Fat Tire Amber Ale's appeal is in its feat of balance: Toasty malt flavors (sorta like biscuits just pulled from the oven) coasting in equilibrium with crisp hoppiness. Delicious stability-in the sometimes precarious world of beer flavors-is perhaps what prompted a consumer who wrote us to say "this beer just makes you smile."

If someone had described it to me as 'biscuits just pulled from the oven', I probably would never have touched it. Nothing like biscuits, but it is good. I guess that's malt I'm tasting, only God knows for sure, but I like it. So this is my favorite beer at the moment.

I was at an English Pub awhile back, the Crown and Anchor, and I had a Smithwicks, or as the British fellow said, "When you're drunk, you can just say Smithicks". It was good, unfortunately, that's the only place I've seen it and it's all the way across town. I also tried Guinness Stout, that tasted like shit. Actually it reminded me of sausage, since it was so smokey flavored, it probably would have been good with some pork. Nasty though, too dark for me, I'll stick to the Amber Ales.

Bottoms up.



No comments: