7.14.2004

Blankets


I just finished reading one of the saddest but amazing books ever. Blankets by Craig Thompson is one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. It's a story about Craig growing up, his first love, his faith, and finding himself in life. His relationship with Raina made me yearn for the same. I fell in love with Raina. I wish this book had never ended.

The book comes in at 582 pages, and I whipped through it in about an hour. Thompson's black and white art is excellent. It's very clear and never gets muddy and hard to make out like some b&w comics can. He portrayed emotion, especially saddness and lonliness, so well in his panels. The writing sounded very natural and never broke the spell by being out of place.

Excellent book, a must own for any comic fan. Go here for a six page preview. Great article here.

No comments: