5.05.2004

The Music of Life


My life has a soundtrack. Songs that stand out. Songs that represent specific event and times in my life. There's good songs, great songs, and a few shitty ones. I was looking through my old CD collection and it brought back a few memories.

Too $hort - BlowJob Betty - First gangsta rap song I heard. I listened to it on a field trip in 7th grade after I heard some guys singing along to it. I'd never heard anything like it. The only rap I'd listened up to that point was Hammer, Young MC, and LL. I loved it.

Lil' Troy - Wanna be a Baller - Reminds me of my first apartment with my best friend of the time. I used to crank it up and listen to this over and over. The chorus was my favorite:
Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller
Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala
Caller gettin laid tonight
Swisher rolled tight, gotta sprayed by Ike
I hit the HIIIGHWAY, making money the FLYYYY WAY
But there's got to be a BETT-ER WAYY!
A better way, better way, YEAH-AHHHH

House of The Rising Sun - Animals - This was my dorm mates favorite song. He was always playing it. It really grew on me.
There is a house in New Orleans.
They call the Rising Sun.
And it's been the ruin of many young poor boys
And God I know I'm one.

Nelly - Ride Wit Me - My first love. Our song.

Kid Rock - Picture - Living alone in a ghetto ass apartment on the East side of Vegas.
Livin' my life in a slow hell
Different girl every night at the hotel
I aint seen the sun shine in 3 damn days
Been fuelin' up on cocaine and whisky
Wish I had a good girl to miss me
Lord I wonder if I'll ever change my ways

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time - Sleep over at Clint's in middle school. He was dating the girl I had a crush on and was telling me about her. This song was playing.

Offspring - Pretty Fly - Good times in High School

Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise - First video I ever saw on MTV.

Uncle Kraker - Memphis Soul Song - Kelly
She see's the good in everything there is to see
Sometimes I wonder what she ever see's in me
I'm not always right you know
But she's never led me wrong
She moves me like a Memphis soul song
Those are some of my favorites. I don't really have a song for the current times, maybe soon.

No comments: