Fremont Street "Unplugged"
This seems like a very cool project. I hope it turns out great. If anyone decides to make a proposal I would like to hear about it. Either in the comments or in email. I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be something to abstract or 'pop'. And I hope the artist who's chosen decides to light it up. That's a must I think.
Deadline for Proposal Submissions
5 p.m, March 31, 2004.
The City of Las Vegas Arts Commission in collaboration with the Fremont Street Experience, is requesting artists/artist teams to submit proposals for an outdoor art in public places project utilizing the light bulbs from the Fremont Street Experience light canopy.
The proposed artwork may be either two- or three-dimensional in nature. However, the lights must remain the major emphasis of the piece and up to 40,000 bulbs may be included in each proposed design. Although not a requirement of the proposed artwork, many of the light bulbs are capable of being energized, providing artists the option of illuminating their designs. Artists choosing this option must provide their own wiring and power source. The incandescent bulbs come in four colors: red, green, blue and clear.
Bulb Dimensions: 3/8" wide and 1" high. Actual bulb colors, red, green, blue & clear Light bulb Components & Specifications:
* 12-volt wedge base incandescent light bulbs; each have a life of 5,000 hours. Light bulbs available for this project will have varying longevity. Wedge sockets available upon request.
* Four different colors: red, green, blue and clear. Each bulb, except the clear, has a coordinating color boot.
* Dimensions: 3/8” wide and 1” high
* Please submit two sets of paper documents: one set with contact information and one set without the artist name/address.
* All documents must be one-sided. Please do not staple.
1. One page letter of introduction, describing artistic experience, design philosophy and ability to execute the project.
2. Illustrations of proposed artwork. One to three designs may be submitted with each design mounted separately on an 8 1/2" x 11” matte board.
3. One-page written description in paragraph format for each proposal submitted, also addressing installation and display requirements.
4. One page abbreviated artist resume.
5. Five labeled slides or 5 image CD slide show or 3 minute VHS/CD demo reel of past relevant work.
6. Accompanying slide/VHS/CD list.
7. Three contact references.
8. SASE (Self-addressed stamped envelope)
Proposal Requirements: Please send Proposal Packets to:
City of Las Vegas Arts Commission
749 Veterans Memorial Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Inquiries may be addressed to Lisa Stamanis @
email@example.com or 702.229-4631
Project Page Here.