1.26.2004

Album #3: Sumday - Grandaddy





Track Listing:
1. Now it's on
2. I'm On Standby
3. The Go In The Go-For-It
4. The Group Who Couldn't Say
5. Lost On Yer Merry Way
6. El Caminos In The West
7. "Yeah" Is What We Had
8. Saddest Vacant Lot In All The World
9. Stray Dog And The Chocolate Shake
10. The Warming Sun
11. O.K. With My Decay
12. The Final Push To The Sum


It's been a busy week, but I finally got around to doing this review. Frankie Dintino recommended this album, and thought I might not like it since it's mellow like The Shins album. But I actually thought this was a lot more upbeat than The Shins. The Shins were more acoustic while Grandaddy has more electronic instruments. The vocals are better and the lyrics aren't as abstract. This is a cd I would actually pack for a road trip. I'd probably play it at a low level when everyone is asleep and I'm the driver. It wouldn't wake them up but it would keep me focused.

My favorite song was #11 The Warming Sun.

The Warming Sun
But in real life
You're in another world
You're with another guy
Who doesn't have to cheat
And never has to lie
And all that stuff I didn't get
Comes so easy to him
He doesn't even have to try

But do you ever ask yourself
How it could have maybe been

I haven't been that bad
But I haven't been that good
Overmisunderstood
Oh I wish I really could
Enjoy the warming sun
Enjoy a warm someone
And end the need to hide
Away alone inside


I've had those feelings before, so I can relate to the song. It's also nice and slow, kind of a dream like quality wich is appropriate to the lyrics.

All in all a good burn.

No comments: