12.30.2005

This is what I've been saying for so long.

from Blog-Like Thing:

“It’s almost as though nobody is interested in creating art as much as they are interested in “making a statement.” Which is fine, but art doesn’t always have to be high-concept, at least not in my opinion. I’ve never been a huge fan of modern art for that reason. It’s as if some time around the turn of the century, art went from capturing what was beautiful, luminous and worth capturing to capturing what’s fucked up in the world. ... And I’m sorry, but there is enough fucked up shit in the world already, I don’t need some tortured artist reminding me of that. To me, art doesn’t always have to make a statement, because where do you draw the line? Kyle took a big shit in a pretty gift box, and there’s no denying that it made one hell of a statement. Should we call it art and give him a show?

...Can’t wear pantyhose, can’t hang out at a bar in the mall, can’t sit in a cubicle all day, for fear it will make you a sell out…the supposedly “free-spirited” art world has more rules and regs than most corporations.”





No comments: